Most programs can gain huge speed-ups (sometimes 1000% or more) from a little performance tuning. Methods include:
- Analyzing program behaviour
- Looking for inefficient resource usage
- Monitoring MySQL traffic and optimizing both the database and the queries
- Implementing heavy caching where reasonable
- Profiling the code to find bottlenecks, then fixing them
- Maybe some data is better put in a NoSQL database like memcachedb, Riak, CouchDB, Cassandra, Redis, or MongoDB
- Tuning the underlying layers (web server, database engine, operating system)
- If everything is already tuned to the max, then building a bigger, meaner hosting solution for the application is the next logical step for your growth.
How does it work when I'm tuning an application for you?
- You give me access to the systems involved. (SSH, FTP, database; as needed)
- A tuning session usually takes between 4-8 hours.
- I present you with the facts and findings, and any further recommendations.
(Of course not only PHP and MySQL code can be tuned, but in my experience, web applications using these technologies can be tuned the fastest, for the biggest performance gains.)
Software tuning is an hourly investment of £70/hr.