This service is recommended when you need to have the efforts of several people (programmers, designers, testers, seo experts, system administrators, etc) orchestrated towards a specific outcome; especially if you only wish to be involved with the project at the executive level, and let somebody else deal with the details.
Projects usually consist of a “planning” and a “development” phase:
During the planning phase, my services include:
- Communications with the client over email or IM (skype, etc)
- Writing your specifications
- Creating mock-up screens, use cases or database structures
- Advising on technologies and methodologies
- Interviewing and choosing the right people for you, if needed
- Creating the project execution plan
Note: If the work during this phase regularly exceeds the calculated 10 hour / week workload, then we will find a solution that works better for both of us, for example, charging by the hour.
During the development phase, my services include:
Each week, one full briefing with the team (in Agile methodology it’s called the “weekly scrum meeting”), where we:
- compile tasks from user cases or requirements
- examine the project status and best practices
- I give technical and/or technological advice to the team as needed
- Finally, I write a report to all stakeholders about the project status.
Every day a short status meeting with the team (one can call it the “daily scrum”, in Agile-speak).
- This keeps the project flowing nicely.
- Developer time is not wasted in meetings.
- Obstacles can be detected early, and thus, can be avoided.
I do project leading for an investment of £50/hour. To keep a development firmly in hand usually takes from four hours to two days per week, depending on project complexity and of course team size.
Note: I take on a maximum of four projects to manage at the same time (and that is only when there are no other commitments for me). Nobody can seriously manage more than four projects, it’s physically impossible (see why).
What can I do to help you?